Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cut Out and Collect

Here's another of our fabulous sponsors/vendors! Cheyne Little comes to us from Texas but has some deep Oklahoma roots!


Dustbowl: Tell us a little about your business.
Cheyne Little: Cut Out and Collect designs and creates handbags, wallets, and home decor using two hands, rare fabrics, an intense attention to detail, as well as a sense of humor.

DB: How did you start Cut Out and Collect?
CL: It began as a way to avoid graduate school, jobs involving fax machines, and other acceptable adult endeavors, more than three years ago. Somehow, it's worked out well and I may get to avoid those things, forever!

DB: What is unique about your business?
CL: I try to keep each handbag truly unique by using a wide variety of fabrics. I take construction very seriously and spend many hours obsessing over ever stitch in each bag. I want my customers to feel like they're carrying a little treasure around with them.
I've also had countless men tell me they secretly wished they could carry my handbags. I love that!
DB: How long have you been creating original works & crafting?
CL: My grandmother was a seamstress. I've been sewing since I remember but didn't start full time until after graduating from UT Arlington, about three years ago.

DB: What inspires you most?
CL: I am constantly inspired by the work of my peers - being on the leadership team of Etsy Dallas has been wonderful. I love that I've found a group of people who share my passion art, design, and good 'ole hard work!

DB: What is your favorite thing to create?
CL: That's a tough question! I almost feel like it doesn't matter - late at night when I'm done for the day, all I can think about is the project I will begin in the morning. I feel so lucky to be able to spend my days as I do now, in the studio.

DB: Your favorite thing in the world?
CL: I have a beautiful blue silk sketchbook with gold embossed scissors on the cover. It has been my best friend for quite some time. I dread the day the pages run out.

DB: Your favorite place in the world?
CL: I purchased that sketchbook while living in Thailand, after graduating from college. I spent some time there and began sewing more seriously. My memories of Southeast Asia are all bright, happy, peaceful ones. I would go back a thousand times over.

DB: Why did you decide to support Dustbowl?
CL: Don't tell Texas, but I was born in Oklahoma. My mother went to OU, where she met my father. My mother's three sisters went there and all married men crazy about the school! Norman will always have a very special place in my heart. I think the Dustbowl has some absolutely stellar potential for bringing the handmade movement to the heart of a wonderful town!

No comments:

Post a Comment